by Cheryl Olmstead
The art of journal writing is an ancient tradition that has been helping to inspire people for generations. There are many forms of journaling, as well as journaling prompts, to explore.
The pages of countless journals captured moments of history, friendships, love, war, and climate change. These pages have served to preserve legends, create maps, reveal secrets, pass along stories, and teach us about our ancestors.
What is Journaling
Today, journaling is a writing practice often used for self improvement and introspection but it’s also a great tool for getting your creative juices flowing. There are many fantastic styles of journals available and journaling prompts to help get you started.
However, don’t let not having a fancy journal stop you from writing. Some people like to write in spiral notebook or composition book. Personally, the feel of the journal cover and pen is important to me, as I enjoy the tangible aspect of it. Pick what works best for you and go for it.
Whatever you choose, you’re not alone. Numerous creatives regularly write in journals fuel their muse. A muse is the inner force that is behind the source of inspiration. Some writers refer to their inner muse their ‘voice.’ Most regard their muse as their inner source of creativity. Some even refer to an actual person, who has inspired them, as their muse.
In mythology, the original Muses comprised of nine Greek goddesses who presided over music, literature, poetry, arts, sciences, and math. See, you’re in great company!
Journaling is an easy way to increase creativity that can be done almost anywhere, anytime. We’ve put together our favorite journaling prompts that promise to kick your muse into high gear.
21 Journaling Prompts to Get You Started
- Explore of your feelings and put them on paper.
- Jot down your all of your ideas no matter how random.
- Keep a record of your plans, goals, and accomplishments.
- Rediscover your creative dreams and write down how you can achieve them.
- Write down your prayers and answered prayers.
- Create a fictional character and take it on your journaling adventure.
- Write word pictures that match your surroundings.
- Record moments and write letters to future generations.
- Acknowledge the things you are grateful for and why.
- Document all of your creative visions and plans so you don’t forget them.
- Write down your blessings as well as how you can bless others.
- Reflect on your life and tell yourself how you’re doing.
- Keeps notes about your daily devotions or messages that inspire you.
- Write down your best memories.
- Describe who you really are (your likes, favorite colors, foods, etc., explain why).
- Paint a word picture of nature or something that is happening around you.
- Write down the first thing that comes to mind when you wake up each morning.
- Write down what you would do if you lived without any fears.
- If a problem is nagging you, write about how you’d like to solve it.
- Write down lists of things that make you happy, sad, mad, feel pretty, etc. and include why.
- Write about how you’d like your day to go, what you will do, and what you hope to achieve.
Remember, to increase creativity and happiness, always write for yourself, no one else! Discover more secrets about how journaling inspires creativity. We’d love to hear what your favorite creative journaling prompts are.
Tails up, Happy Mermaids! Please visit our store to see our seamazing mermaid products, clothing, gifts and art.